Taking Mac and Cheese to a New Level!
On the afternoon of Christmas Eve, my good friend Carolyn sent me one of those recipe videos – the ones that show you how to make something in less than a minute – featuring a bacon and macaroni and cheese pie. Well, I had to bring something to a friend’s house for dinner that night, so I picked up some bacon at the market and started making it.
I changed the recipe up a little bit. As I was in a hurry, I just used the Pillsbury boxed pie crust. It’s a good alternative to Martha Stewart’s recipe. I also used my own Mac and Cheese recipe, but I added bacon. I used one pound of bacon: 8 strips for the lattice top and the rest chopped up, cooked, and mixed in with the mac and cheese.
So basically, the recipe is,
- Make 1/2 batch of Mac and Cheese. (Don’t bake it)
- Chop up and cook all but 8 strips of 1 pound bacon. Drain and set aside.
- Mix bacon and mac and cheese together
- Take a pie crust, lay in pie plate, and bake crust for 10 minutes at 425
- Take the crust out of the oven, and spoon in mac and cheese mixture.
- Lattice weave the bacon on top.
- Bake at 425 (non convection) for 20 minutes, until bacon is done.