Without question, Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. Family, food and nothing else. I think that most of us are not grateful enough for what we have. I know I’m not. I can always find reasons to complain – life has kicked me real hard a few times. But I have so many reasons to be thankful, and I try to remind myself each day of how fortunate I am to have love around me, to have beauty around me, and to have a chance to make the world a little better. Today is always a great day, and Thanksgiving is always a day to celebrate all the great days, at value all of the love in our lives, past and present, and to just take a long moment to be consciously grateful.
I have posted a lot of my Thanksgiving recipes on this page. Take a look and enjoy.
I try to use these recipes throughout the year, but I’ve included them all in a Thanksgiving section on the website.
- Oven-Roasted Turkey and Gravy
- Granny Catlett’s Cornbread Dressing
- Spicy Cranberry Sauce
- Carrot Soufflé
- Cheese Grits
- Chocolate Pecan Pie
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Monday or Tuesday Night:
- Brine both turkeys – 1 for the oven and 1 for the smoker
- Make Spicy Cranberry Sauce
- Make Cornbread – Skillet Cornbread or just any old cornbread.
- Prepare Brussels Sprouts
- Make Pie Crust Dough and place in fridge
- Make Pumpkin Pie Mix
- Make cheese grits and prepare for baking
Thursday – Shooting for a 2:00 PM Serving Time
7:30 AM Take Out Turkeys
- Start Making Dressing
- Start Up the Big Green Egg!
- Make and Bake Pies
- Make Brussels Sprouts
- Clean and Prepare House
- Set Table
- Get out platters and serving spoons
- Put Turkeys in the Oven and the Big Green Egg
- Clean Up The Kitchen
- Chill Out for a While (Football starts soon!)
- Take Grits, Dressing, and Sprouts out of Fridge
- Guests Arrive
- Set out Appetizers
- Place Grits in Oven
- Take Turkey out of Oven
- Place Dressing in Oven
- Take Cranberry Sauce out of fridge
- Take Turkey off of BGE
- Take Dressing and Grits Out
- Heat Sprouts
- Heat Peas
1:45 PM Carve Turkey
Exactly at 2:00 PM – Ring the Bell, Give Thanks, and Eat!