We love steak in my house. Except for my vegetarian wife. But she supports the three boys in the house in our passion for steak. And I am certainly appreciative!
So what do I do for steak?
- Get the best cut of steak that you can. My favorites?
- Ribeye – All that marbling isn’t good for you, but what the heck? It’s the absolute best. If I go to a steakhouse, I will order a Ribeye.
- Filet – It’s what I should eat all the time. Small portions. buttery soft, and excellent flavor and texture. This is Dawson’s favorite.
- NY Strip – Solid, healthy, and really good, but not enough fat to make it as good as a Ribeye.
- Porterhouse – A NY and a Filet – Big and awesome, but it’s a lot, and, it’s fairly hard to cook.
- Take it out of the fridge and let it sit at least 30 minutesSeason with just two seasonings:
- Soy Sauce – more interesting that Worcestershire sauce
- Montreal Steak Seasoning (My absolute favorite – I buy it in bulk at Costco)
- Cook it on the grill or on the open flame Big Green Egg. No other way to do it. Get it as hot as you can without causing flare ups.
- 3 Minutes on each side, Rotate 90 degrees and cook 2 – 3 minutes on each side again (makes nice cross-hatch marks). I cook my steak until it’s 130 degrees. It’s a perfect medium rare.
That’s it. It’s simple – let it sit for a few minutes before your serve it.